Sunday, January 28, 2007

Steve is 49 Years Old

I decided to do some sleuthing and dug up Steve's make and serial number. Steve is a 1958 spinet from the Cable Nelson piano factory. Given the overall condition, and the fact we know we are the third owners, that the previous owners had the piano for 11 years, I figured that Steve was probably 20-25 years old. The condition seems very good--there are a few nicks and scratches, but nothing horrible. The interior is clean and the mechanism seems to be in fine shape.

Steve does need tuning pretty badly--especially after being hauled in a pickup truck about 30 miles in 40 degree weather. After the piano has sat for a few days and becomes aclimated to our home we will have a tuner over to give the little piano a good once over.

I discovered that this model isn't anything special--a very average piano. Spinets are reckoned to be an entry level piano--but the size really was a plus to us.

I've discovered that after not playing the piano pretty much for 20 years, I am VERY rusty.

I guess we ought to figure out how much Steve is really worth for insurance purposes. In the meantime, I am delighted with our find.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?