Monday, January 15, 2007

Old Photographs

CROSSPOSTED FROM IMAGESPACE--ARTS AND WEB 2.0

I've started taking our old negatives to Costco--film taken pre-digital camera. Costco will digitize and put your pictures on CD for $2.99 a set of negatives. That comes to roughly $0.12 per picture. I have a few motives here.

1) Archiving pictures from our past--Ultimately even the pictures Paula and I took as kids.

2) Revisiting experiences from our past. I use iPhoto almost daily. If I want to take a gander at our vacation to Cancun or Anchorage it takes mere seconds. If I want to look at anything pre-2003, I really have to pull out physical albums. That really never happens.

3) There are a bunch of pictures I know that I would like to have up on Flickr. In some ways, Flickr has become my defacto image management tool. I make extensive use sets to classify my pictures. Actually, some of the pictures my wife took and a very few private pictures were taken by my parents.

Currently I have 5195 pictures on Flickr 3281 are public. Why 1914 private pictures? I tend not to make my snaps of friends and family public unless I have permission from them. A lot of the time I forget to ask and so the pictures languish. That said, because the vast majority of the pictures I take these days are never printed, I need multiple copies.

All pictures that I post on the Internet are being embedded from Flickr these days.

ZAPP(tm) is a Web based art fair application and adjudication tool I helped WESTAF build about three years ago. I have taken to recommending to applicants that they create Flickr sets of pictures. They can make them private, but as flicker doesn't limit the size or number of images you can store--this gives the applicant backups AND a set of images technical support at WESTAF can see if the applicant allows it. It can also act as a central location if the artist applies to multiple adjudication systems.

Flickr is one of my favourite Web 2.0 applications.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?