Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Online Front Porch

CROSSPOSTED FROM IMAGESPACE--ARTS AND WEB 2.0

10 years ago I was in graduate school. I had just finished the second performance event in my thesis work. The summer before, I had worked for the William King Regional Arts Center in Abingdon Virgina as production co-ordinator for the Appalachian Cultural Festival, Living Traditions. There, I met a man name Jim Loyd--a barber and old-time musician. He was a member of an Old-Time band called the Konnarock Critters.

I approached the Critters to play a series of concerts in the Virginia Tech Black Box Theatre. We scrounged a camera and hooked it into a Mac. We broadcast a video stream on the Internet and invited people from around the world to tap in as well.

The event was a modest success. We had audience from around the US, Canada, and one group from Italy. Keep in mind, this was 10 years ago.

I've started digitizing the tape from one of the events and am posting it on Revver. If you're curious, the collection will be aggregating HERE.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?