Sunday, November 12, 2006

3608 Days of Web Presence. 808 Days of Blogging

I started thinking about my presence on the Web today and I realised that I am approaching a decade of having a personal Web presence. When I started messing around on the Web in 1995 Mosaic was the browser of choice.

So, I've been blogging on Blogger for 808 days today. My first post indicated that I would be using the blog predominantly to post pictures of my art and photos. What started as an attempt to generate interest in my work has morphed into a blending of how the arts non-profit world can make use of Internet technologies and a fair bit of discourse on how technologies can/should direct aspects of arts policy-making.

In the old days I posted pictures on other forums like i-dog.com, now I mostly use flickr to host pictures (although I sometimes use Blogger's tools too) because of the utility of the site.

I am still maintaining my hosted blogger/blogspot account, but am increasingly considering my instance of Drupal living on my virtual server on Dogstar.org, my personal domain.

My Web presence using the dogstar domain came into being on January 25 1999 or 2848 days ago. Prior to that I used the Blacksburg Electronic Village. I had a domain in the village starting December 25, 1996 or 3608 days ago. I am quickly approaching 10 years with a Web presence of some type.

Back then I hosted my own Web server on a tiny Apple Macintosh LCIII which I shed only very recently.

What a trip back in time! Let us hope for another interesting decade!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?