Sunday, October 22, 2006

Web 2.0 Notes

These notes were used for a Web 2.0 presentation I gave to the WESTAF trustees a few days ago. It actually ended up being much more condensed than this due to time constraints.

Web 2.0 has a pretty murky definition. It is thought of as the culmination of what people hoped Web 1.0 would be—that is an interactive environment for people. Web 1.0 really just comprised brochure sites that provided information but no real interactivity.

In the last couple of years this has changed rapidly as communities have emerged from what were really dark days after the dot com bust.

There is a new idea of “everything casting” (coined by Eric Rice) which really is a fancy way of saying that I, Joe Computer User, have the tools using a pretty ordinary computer to

a) Publish and
b) Broadcast

to the world and using the Web, the world can publically comment.

Web 2.0 represents Online Social Multimedia experiences.

Sites like this include:

1) Flickr
2) Revver
3) Digg
4) Del.icio.us
5) Blogspot
6) YouTube
7) Technorati
8) Wikis
9) GeoTagr

One of the things that makes Web 2.0 work is open-ness. In most cases, social networking sites provide a framework in which almost anybody can take elements of their service and use it as their own. Content “vacuums” if you will.

So I can upload photos to Flickr and have them show up automatically on my Blog with a map from Google because I’ve included the location as one of my tagging elements in Flickr. I can do the same with my video and other people’s video. I can bookmark all of these elements in Del.icio.us for others to follow and comment on, or add to.

In Web 2.0 everything is related to a conversation and everything is viral. It takes on a life of its own.

About two weeks ago I was flying back from Baltimore. In my Chicago-Denver leg, the flight was delayed for two hours as men were removed from the airplane.

1) I took video with my cell and posted it on Revver and embedded it on my blog with a description of what happened.
2) I entered a link into DIGG
3) I started conversations on three forums I participate in

Within two weeks between DIGG, the three forums, and my blog there were over 2000 views and conversations in all four places. While I started the dissemination of this content, I really have no control of how it is passed on any longer. Others have taken it on themselves to feedback to me, to communicate with each other, to comment in each of the places. The net reaches farther each day.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?