Saturday, September 23, 2006

Canada Council

The Canada Council's offices look new and modern. Lots of glass and great lines. The lighting is quite beautiful too.

I had a good conversation with folks at the council. In many ways it was simply an introduction and an opportunity for us to see where there might be good intersection between WESTAF and the Council. I believe that there probably are resonances, particularly in the West, between the two organizations. The department I met with work on fostering partnership between the provinces and at a federal level. In many ways this mirrors the activities that Regional Arts Organizations in the US foster partnerships at the state level. I think that the CCA have some of the same experiences in working these, sometimes not aligned, agendas between the individual provinces.

In a previous post, I mentioned that the CCA budget was just about at parity with the NEA's budget and yet Canada's population is roughly that of California. To take that comparison one step further, WESTAF's region is the 12 western states. This means that our constituency is larger than that of the CCA--and trust me WESTAF's budget in comparison is very small.

Where will these conversations lead? I'm not sure, but I am eager to continue them.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?