Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Speaking of favourite apps...

The Killer App contest got me thinking about the freeware that I use on a daily basis. My experience is coloured somewhat by the fact I'm a ReplayTV zealot. Not the new software--although if it is strong enough I could be convinced--but the old hardware platform. So, I'll break my list up into those apps that would be useful for any old joe, and those specific to ReplayTV users.

Any Old Joe

1) VideoLan Client is by far one of my favourite apps. I use it almost exclusively to view MPG files. It can take *almost* anything I throw at it.
2) FFMPEGX can convert anything into almost anything else. It is fabulous.
3) Audacity can capture and convert vinyl, audio tape, ANYthing you can get into the input of your Mac and convert it to a variety of formats including MP3. It is a GREAT freeware app.
4) ReplayToGo is more of a compiler of other apps, but it automates converting MPEG files for use on the iPod.
5) Skype keeps me in touch with my programmers, family, and friends.
6) Chicken of the VNC is a free Virtual Network Client. It ROCKS.

ReplayTV Specific

1) DVArchive is the most valuable tool ever made for ReplayTV users. It allows you to download shows locally, stream through VLC from your ReplayTV, set up recordings, and so much more.
2) Mongo allows you to update Poopli if you make use of IVS in the 4 and 5K series of ReplayTV.

I'd love to hear what free apps you use and find valuable.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?