Monday, August 28, 2006

Revver, Copyright and Long Term Viablity

Revver takes copyright very seriously. I respect them for the level of attention that they take. Last night I had a video rejected. Why? Because there was a Bob Marley song playing in the background. It was playing at the Water Park my family were visiting. It lasts for just a couple of seconds, but it was enough to have them not make the video public. I applaud them for that level of attention. I made an inquiry as to why the video was rejected and had an email answer within an hour—and this was late at night.

They appear to vett everything very carefully. On YouTube they don’t seem to have the same safeguards in place, although they will remove content IF there is a complaint.

I really hope that Revver can keep it up. At WESTAF we have learned that automation is key keeping costs down. When you have a real person reviewing all content before it is posted, you increase costs significantly.

I suspect Revver will be very successful. When it moves to the level, I suspect they will be acquired by a big company. Perhaps Apple will buy them as all Revverised videos are logged into iTunes. Perhaps Microsoft will try to buy them to stop that content from being syndicated by a competitor.

Comments:
Their strictness on copyright issues is probably due to who some of the major investors are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revver

Subsidiaries of Comcast and TimeWarner have a financial stake in the success of Revver.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?