Thursday, June 08, 2006

Oz--Day 1


Day 1

I learned a valuable, if painful lesson, today regarding shifting first class suites into bed-mode. ALWAYS double check to make sure that everything you care about is out of the way of the seat and the front table. The motors that control the chair are very powerful. I had set up my laptop to recharge while I took a little nap. Unknown to me was that my power-brick was caught between the seat and the immovable table. The result is a crushed (and useless) power supply. Luckily Paula brought her laptop meaning that we have one useable computer.

As we flew into Sydney, the opera house seemed to glow in the darkness. It was an amazing site and I wish that I had been able to take a photo. Electronics were relegated to the off setting by that time.

As an aside, it turns out that we crossed the International Date Line in such a way that we skipped 06/06/06-a source of anxiety for some it seems. It is odd to have left a place on the 5th and11 hours later to be arriving on the 7th.

We found our flat today and several grocery markets. We have a enough food for about a week in our fridge. The flat is a fine home base. It has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and combined livingroom/diningroom. I have one huge bone to pick. They advertise broadband Internet in all rooms (a selling point for us) but really have no Internet access at all. We had to buy a dialup account today which is as slow as mollases.

We're within spitting distance of light rail that goes directly to downtown Sydney. Good stuff!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?