Saturday, March 04, 2006

Treo 650, OSX, and Dial Up Networking

Today I was messing around with my laptop and this new telephone. I am often frustrated with hotel wireless networks not working well, or the broadband connection is down and so forth. Turns out that the 650 is enabled to allow connection to the Internet via bluetooth. I am currently sitting in my living room writing this using the bluetooth connection. On OS X.4 the steps are as follows if you are using Sprint.

1) Turn bluetooth ON on your phone but leave DUN OFF. This is critical. It took me a dogs age to figure this out. It isn't documented anywhere.
2) Go into your bluetooth menu on the laptop and setup bluetooth device.
3) Choose phone.
4) follow the instructions on the laptop. It will give you a passcode which you will enter into the Treo
5) Turn ON DUN on the Treo
6) Open Internet connect on your laptop
7) enter #777 in the phone number DO NOT enter a username and password
8) Hit connect.
9) BAM you should be on the Internet.

Very very cool stuff.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?