Friday, March 03, 2006

Treo 650 and ReplayTV

My Treo 600 has been getting sick over the last few weeks. I pay $3 per month insurance on my phone so if something goes wrong, gets broken, or otherwise falls apart I get a new phone of the same type, if available or the next closest upgrade. The poor phone was cycling in and out of the network constantly even in places that I should have had good reception.

All said and done, this meant that poor me ended up with a Treo 650. I was pretty happy when they announced that they couldn't repair it and out came a bright shiny yellow box. I've been using a bluetooth headset with my laptop for Skype for a year now. This phone has bluetooth embedded.

When I got the phone home, I decided to see if I could get ReplayTV content onto this phone.

I recorded a short clip on one of my ReplayTVs--I only have a 128 card right now--and downloaded it via DVArchive. I then ran it through FFMPGX (the OSX version of FFMPG) which is opensource. I downloaded TCPMP (a video player that works on Palm). I put the re-encoded avi file onto an MMC card in my 650 and I must say that the picture quality is amazing. I had thought I was going to upgrade my iPod...but this may keep me from taking that step for some time.

This is some slickness.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?