Friday, July 01, 2005

Eleanor Rigby



When I was in Canada in December, I bought Douglas Coupland's latest book. I didn't get around to reading it until this past trip to Halifax, but found myself transfixed by it. I consumed it in about a half day. I found myself drawn into the plot, which jumps between decades, of characters that are flawed but very approachable.

The story revolves around a mother who meets her son for the first time when he is 20. She finds out that he has MS. The book has moments of tragedy, but it so very hopeful throughout and has an amazing last dozen pages. Near the end of the book (page 246) I found myself smiling widely and experiencing just about as much pleasure as reading can bring. I loved this book.

Comments:
www.findmadeleine.com
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?