Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Last Day in Halifax

Today was our last day in Halifax. I have to say that I'm enchanted with the city, its people, and the province. I do believe we'll be back. I am sunburned from our long hike today and feeling pleasantly tired. Tomorrow is going to be a very very early morning--we're up at 4 am which is 2 am in our home time zone.

While hiking, Paula and I mused about the fact that this is the farthest east either of us has been in North America. Anchorage is probably the farthest west. I boggle at how fast airplanes can get us hither and thither.

This morning we went back to Pier 21 to do some research on my Father and Mother's boats. We got some good information about Dad's boat, but my Mother's boat isn't on record with them.

This is my Father's boat.



After lunch we headed to Point Pleasant for an afternoon of hiking. The park is quite beautiful despite the damage that Juan did three years ago. Even so, the obvious damage the hurricane was responsible for can be seen all around the park.



The squirrels are very friendly, and we don't see very many of the small red ones in our neck of the woods.



There are also quite a few military ruins ranging from those built in the 1700's to 1940's. Its interesting that the buildings erected during WWII are almost gone, while the Martello Tower built in the 18th century is protected as a Parks Canada memorial in GREAT shape.



The scenery is pretty stunning looking out into the water.



All in all, this has been a fabulous little vacation. It hasn't been long enough, but it has been pretty special. It has been very good to be home--at least my home country.

Comments:
Try 1am Mountain Time (not 2am).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?